Sunday, February 26, 2006

Where have all the flowers gone?

Some days before on my way back to home from office I experienced something that shattered me… It was almost dark, nobody around that place… A saraswati idol without dress and the head upon it standing in the roadside bushes in bare negligence. The sculpture of the nude goddess, the lights and shadows, the junglee shrubbery around it.. It was simply breathtaking. A surrealistic visual grasped me. Thousands of words can be written, plenty of snaps can be taken.. but I did nothing… I just wanted to feel that moment itself.

People may raise their eyebrows… fundamentalists can start debating on the issue (like another MF Hussein story) but I am not going into that rather not even bother what they will think.

What amazed me that I used to travel office through this road only but I never noticed it and local people reported that it was lying there since saraswati puja. That day I realized we have lost something...our vision.. We used to be more driven by the brain than heart. We are so much busy in managing professional and personal life, scheming our EMIs, engaging mind in material output that we don’t get time to look at the world around us.
We prefer to cherish natural beauties in the idiot box rather experience it live. And for this we don’t have to go to Kashmir or Digha. We can feel the life right here. Remember Tagore’s immortal lines?
"Dekhite giyachi parbatmala, dekhite giyachi sindhu
Dekha hoy nai chakhkhu melia, duar hoite dui paa felia
Ekti dhaner shisher upar ekti shishir bindu"

Just think of these questions... When was the last time you have seen the green paddy field from the local train window? Have you visited the regional fair last year? Have you noticed the drenched crow on the fallow antenna? Have you ever heard the rhythm of the rain?


Try to get as much as possible from the world around us, explore the artist within you or else flowers will disappear in the concrete jungle one day.

2 comments:

diya said...

the beauty in mundane.............but why were you "shattered" & not exultant?.........diya

Priyankari said...

Just too good! I too often felt the same thoughts in my mind... i really feel we are missing out life itself being concerned about its ornaments...beautifully written and those Tagore's lines made me absolutely nostalgic...great post!